The hiring process is governed by Illinois Complied Statues (65 ILCS 5/ art. 10) and utilizes a Board of Fire and Police Commissioners to make all original appointments to the Department. As per Statue the Jacksonville Fire Dept. is required to compile a new final eligibility list of candidates every two years or when that list has been exhausted.
Requirements for initial list of eligible's:
- Mental aptitude - written test
- Physical ability - CPAT
- Oral interview
When a vacancy occurs with in the Department and with the City Councils approval the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners then notify the top candidates from the final list of eligible's for a second interview and forward their recommendation to the Chief of the Department.
Prior to starting with the JFD the candidate will be required to undergo a physical and mental examinations. upon completion and passing the examination process a job offer shall be extended to the candidate.
Residency requirement - Shall reside in Morgan County with in 12 months of hire.
Additional requirements can be found under Application requirements and testing information tab under employment.
Starting Salary - $51,242.42
- Step increases every year for the first five years
- Certification pay
- Longevity bonus
- Paramedic in charge incentive
- Medical insurance - optional dental and vision plan available
- Retirement plan - optional deferred comp plans
- Paid vacation - after one year
- Paid sick leave - accumulates annually
- Tuition forgiveness program - applied to paramedic certification and licensing.